When setting up a new group, you should consider exactly what unique information about your contacts you’d like to include in your import, such as city, employer, donation amount, elected reps or polling place address. Custom fields are one way you can import existing information about people you contact on Hustle. For information on how to create a custom field, please visit this article.
Sometimes you may want to target specific contacts within a group. Custom fields can be useful for reaching out to people who have something in common, for example: they live in the same county, or legislative district. Check out the tips below on how to achieve targeting by custom field!
Target by Custom Field
For this example. we're going to use the following Custom Field:
Within a group, you have people who live in multiple counties, and you want to target a goal for people in one of those counties.
1) Make sure your CSV file has a targeting column added with the target custom field, as shown in the example below:
2) Upon uploading the CSV, you'll need to select the "Custom Field: County" option in the drop down menu; the values from the CSV will populate as custom fields under this column.
3) Create a goal:
- In the Targeting section, select the "match custom fields and values" option.
- Select relevant custom field in drop down
- Enter the value (i.e. Name of county) you wish to target.
You can see that by inputing the value of the "County" custom field, only 2 contacts show up!
Note 📝: If you want to a specific set of contacts who do not share a common custom field value, see this article.