Q: How do I set up my VAN integration?
A: Setting up your VAN Integration is easy as 1-2-3!
- To add a VAN integration, you will need to get an API key and application name from VAN Support. To obtain this information, submit a support request through your VAN dashboard. Pro Tip: VAN Integration may take a day or two to complete. Make sure to give yourself enough time to successfully set up your VAN Integration.
- VAN will send you a one-time secret link that you will click on and get access to a series of letters and numbers, for example, 1ea625c0-c274-47e6-b87e-3cdd8e804c68. This is your key. Keep in mind that this link only works one time, if you need the API key again you will need to submit another request. We want your organizational data to be secure, so please do not share your API over email, as this key provides full access to your data.
- Use that API link and application name to connect both MyCampaign (indicated with VAN v4) and MyVoters (indicated with VAN_MyVoters_V4) to Hustle.
Read more about getting started with the VAN integration on our Help Desk.
Q: How do I push lists from VAN to Hustle?
A: 1) First things first, if you have additional fields besides first name, last name, and phone number, add your custom fields in Hustle first. For example, if you would like to add polling locations to Hustle and your scripts, you should add a “polling_place” field to Hustle. Here's some info on custom fields.
2) To easily push lists from VAN to Hustle, first log into VAN and cut your list of contacts that you'd like to Hustle. At the top of the list, there is a SMS button (picture of a cell phone at the very end) that will be activated. Click on that button and it will take you through the steps to prepare your list and send it to Hustle. You can find more about how to push lists from VAN to Hustle on our Help Desk.
Hustle Pro tip:
As a best practice when using VAN MyList, try to avoid creating a new group with every new targeted list. Instead, you can tag all of your contacts in the list and add them to an existing group. Then, to target just that list you pushed, just select the “match organization tag” option during goal creation. This is the best way to not go over your contact limit.
Q: How do I sync information from Hustle back to VAN?
A: There are 2 ways to sync information back to VAN:
- Hustle goal responses to VAN Event ids and VAN Survey Questions. Every time the toggle is recorded in Hustle (that yes/no or interested/not interested at the top), it can sync back to VAN Event ids and VAN Survey Questions. You need to create the event and/or survey question in VAN first. Then, in Hustle, click on the down arrow next to your goal and select “manage integrations” to select the right VAN integration, load your event/survey ID, and select the responses that you want to see in VAN. Read more about this on our help desk.
- Hustle tags to VAN activist codes, survey questions, and canvass results. Every time a tag is applied to a contact/lead in Hustle, it can sync that tag back to VAN activist codes, survey questions, and canvass results. To make sure the tags get synced back to VAN, you first need to set up the integration for each tag. Go to Settings on the left side and click on tags - here you can create a tag or sync an already existing tag. Click on the 'edit' button next to the tag to bring up the edit box to select the appropriate VAN activist code, VAN survey question, or VAN canvass result. Read more about syncing tags back to VAN on our help desk.
Hustle Pro Tip:
You can sync wrong numbers back to canvass results so every time an organizer opt-outs a wrong number and selects that tag, it will record it in your VAN. You can then track the wrong numbers in VAN by that canvass result!
Q: I am getting an error when trying to push my list! Please help.
A: This can happen so please don't despair! You should check on a few things that may be the culprit:
- Make sure that you have permission to export lists of that size from VAN. Before pushing any lists from VAN to Hustle, you need to have the appropriate VAN permissions. If the SMS button (the button with the black cell phone) is gray after setting up your integration in Hustle, that most likely means you do not have the right permissions in VAN to push lists. You'll need to contact your VAN administrator for appropriate permission.
- You have a pop-up blocker that is prohibiting Hustle from opening up in a new tab after pushing your list. Try clicking on the underlined phrase in VAN at the top that will redirect you to Hustle. You can also click on the pop-up blocker and select “allow pop-ups from this website.”
- Your VAN API key and application name were inputted incorrectly into Hustle. The key that VAN sends you is only good for 24 hours. If you waited longer than that to input the information, then the key has expired. You'll need to go through the process of requesting another API key and application name through VAN support.
If you experience an error, we are happy to help! Please email us at email@example.com with the name and link to your Hustle org, the group affected, and a brief explanation of what you're experiencing. Also, screenshots of both Hustle and VAN help us to resolve issues faster. You should also submit a support ticket to VAN by logging into VAN and clicking on the “submit a support request” in your VAN dashboard.
Q: Why didn't my Hustle information didn't sync back to VAN?
A: You have to set up your integration settings for goals and tags before you start Hustling. Any information you collected through Hustling before you synced goal responses to Event ID's or Survey Questions will not be recorded in VAN. It is super important to make sure your VAN integration is complete before you start texting. The syncs are not retroactive and we aren't able to push the data to VAN in bulk.
Hustle Pro tip:
To make sure everything works in Hustle and VAN, do a small test with a few numbers in VAN. You can even use yourself as the contact - just push your number from VAN to Hustle, create your goal, set up your integrations with the goal and tags to sync back to VAN, and then do a practice Hustle! If the right information got back to VAN then you're well set!