When setting up a new group you should consider exactly what unique information about your contacts you’d like to include in your import, such as city, employer, donation amount, elected reps, or polling place address. Custom fields are one way you can import existing information about people you contact on Hustle. For information on how to create a custom field, please visit this article.
In many cases you will want to target contacts with one or several custom fields, but sometimes you may want to only target a segment of people for a specific goal. For example: you want to target a thank you message only to people who attended a certain event.
Custom fields can be useful for reaching out to people who have something in common -- they may live in the same county, share a graduation year, or they may have attended the same event.
Using a 'targeting' custom field allows you to upload additional CSV-import information into your group with new and/or existing contacts, and assigns a specific consistent term in the Custom Field column (ex. 18JULY2017 or Elmo_Event) only to the contacts you want to target for this goal.
Simply, you can upload a CSV with what you want to target via the custom field. Then, in Goal Creation, select to target your goal towards contacts who match the custom field you used. Viola!
Target by a single Custom Field
For this example we're going to use the following Custom Field:
Within a group you have people who live in multiple counties, and you want to target a goal for people in one of those counties.
1) Make sure your CSV file has a targeting column added with the target custom field, as shown in the example below:
2) Upon uploading the CSV, you'll need to select the "Custom Field: County" option in the drop down menu; the values from the CSV will populate as custom fields under this column.
3) Create a goal:
- In the Targeting section, select the "match custom fields and values" option.
- Select relevant custom field in drop down
- Enter the value (i.e. Name of county) you wish to target.
You can see that by inputing the value of the "County" custom field, only 2 contacts show up!
Advanced: Targeting with zero, one or multiple Custom Fields
There are two ways for an admin to set targeting with a custom field: use a custom field in a script or explicitly add in the targeting specification for the goal. Admins can use custom fields in the targeting specification in the following ways:
A) Custom field with no specified values
- In the image below, targeting will include all contacts in the group that have the custom field CSM, regardless of the specific custom field value.
B) Custom field with a single custom field value
- For example, in the image below targeting will include contacts in the group that have the custom field CSM AND where the value is “Shea”.
C) Targeting with multiple custom field values
- For example, in the image below targeting will include contacts in the group that have the custom field CSM AND where the value is “Shea” OR “Angel”
Using a custom field in a script
Adding a custom field to a script will impact the targeting for the goal. Only contacts in the group that have a value for that custom field will be included in the goal.
Note: Admins, if your live goal has no contacts or the incorrect of textable contacts populating in agent workflows, your goal may be filtering out all your contacts because of custom field use! If you include a custom field in the script in a group where no agents have that custom field, contacts will not be added to that goal's workflows, or will show as 100% completed with 0 contacts made.