Below are some best practices that will help you build relationships, boost reply rates and increase conversion with Hustle. The most important thing to remember is that the magic of peer-to-peer texting is in real people talking to real people.
Groups: Treat groups as communities that you are reach out to over time through a series of goals. More goals, fewer groups.
- Important data is stored at the group level, including goal data and conversations.
- Use Tags and Custom Fields to target segments of your group with goals.
Goals: Engage your people and call them to action with custom messages.
- Use reminders to follow up with those who have committed to increase participation.
Scripts: Keep it personal and design it to read as a text.
- Use Emojis: 😉
- Abbreviate: “w/” not “with”
- Emphatic upbeat language: “It would be really awesome if you could join.”
- Fewer capitalized letters: “name of org” NOT “Name of Org”
- Keep scripts under 200 characters for higher engagement.
- Ask questions to encourage a response: “Can you make it?”
- Casual tone: “A bunch of us...”
- Omit some information from the initial message to engage contact. Ex. include the location in Response or Follow-Up scripts.
- Put links in the Response Script NOT the Initial Script - true for Event and Fundraising Links
- For existing contacts, leave out the agent intro since they’ve already been texted from that person before.
- Avoid generic short links like bitly that don’t tell contacts where they are being redirected. Create your own or use the full link for a better response rate.
- Avoid impersonation. Especially with principals. It is less genuine.
- Avoid hard specific asks: try “can I send you a link to give” instead of “can we count on a contribution of $50.”
Reminders + Follow-Up: Keep the conversation going.
- Send Reminders to those who said “Yes” “Pledged” or “Interested”.
- Thank those who took action, including new folks who attended an event or made a donation.