Targeting allows admins to specify which agents in a group can message which contacts. Admins can tailor the targeting of goals based on:
- Tags: The tags applied to contacts. For more information about tags, see How do I use tags?
- Custom Fields: The data in Custom Fields. For more information about Custom Fields, see How do I use custom fields?
- Goal Results: The previous responses (Yes/No, etc.) marked in a previous goal. For more information, see What are lead actions?
When creating new goals, the targeting defaults to include all of the contacts in the group. Admins can use targeting filters to narrow the list of contacts the goal targets so only specific contacts are messaged in the goal.
Note: Targeting can’t be edited after a goal is launched. For more information about creating goals, see How do I use Hustle goals?
- What are the different targeting filters?
- How do I use multiple targeting filters?
- Why isn't my goal targeting any contacts?
What are the different targeting filters?
There are three types of targeting filters:
When targeting tags, admins can choose 3 types of filters:
- Have all of these tags: Target contacts that have all of the selected Tags.
- Have any of these Tags: Target contacts that have any of the selected Tags.
- Does NOT have any of these tags: Message contacts that do not have any of the selected Tags. (e.g like Moved or Wrong number)
When targeting Custom Fields, admins can choose 4 types of filters:
- Is any of these: Contacts that have any of the entered values in the selected Custom Field.
- Is NOT any of these: Contacts that have data in the Custom Field that is not any of the values entered.
- Has any value: Contacts that have any value in the selected Custom Field.
- Has a blank value: Contacts that have the selected Custom Field blank.
Note: Targeting Custom Fields is case-sensitive.
When targeting Goal Results, admins can target contacts who were marked with one of the following results:
- No result marked
Admins can also target contacts where:
- Agent messaged lead
- Agent did NOT message or skip lead
- Responded to the goal
- Did NOT respond to the goal
- Contact was skipped
- Clicked through
- Completed a call
- Did not click through
- Did not complete a call
• The goal results filter can only target other goals in the group.
• When targeting goal results of VAN survey goals, you can’t target based on survey responses to a VAN survey (e.g. Yes, No, Maybe, Strong support, undecided, etc.).
How do I use multiple targeting filters?
Any number of targeting filters can be combined to narrow down the contacts messaged in a goal.
Targeting filters operate on an and logic, meaning only contacts who count in all of the targeting filters set will be included in the goal. Keep the following in mind when using multiple targeting filters to target contacts.
When using multiple tag targeting filters, only contacts that fall into both filters will be targeted.
- E.G. In the below example (where two tag targeting filters are being used) only contacts with the Accepted tag AND contacts who don't have the Wrong number tag are being targeted.
When using multiple Custom Field targeting filters, only contacts with both specified values, in both Custom Fields, will be targeted.
- E.G. In the below example (where two Custom Field results targeting filters are being used) only contacts who have oakland in the Custom Field "city" AND have berkeley in the Custom Field "campus" are being targeted.
When using multiple goal results targeting filters, only contacts whose response falls into both filters will be targeted.
- E.G. In the below example (where two goal results targeting filters are being used) only contacts who were messaged by agents in the selected goal, AND responded to the agent's message are being targeted.
Why isn't my goal targeting any contacts?
There are a few ways admins can accidentally miss targeting their contacts which can lead to a large amount of confusion for users.
Also called, Silent targeting, this issue comes up when Hustle isn't able to find any Contacts with the variables in your scripts or targeting filters set so no messages can be sent out.
What ends up happening is instead of targeting a number of Contacts to text, the goal targets zero contacts.
For more information about silent targeting and the different ways, it can come up, see Silent targeting.