While creating a new goal, Admins can add scripts, which are pre-written messages that agents can use to message contacts. Scripts help agents move through conversations faster. There are several kinds of scripts Admins can use when creating a goal: Initial Scripts, Response Scripts, Additional Response Scripts and Saved Scripts.
The editor that's used to create and preview scripts.
The script editor includes:
- Script Name: Admins can name scripts so agents can find scripts faster.
- Character Counter: A character counter to help admins see how many characters are in the script.
- Variables: Fields, as well as custom fields in purple, which auto-populate information into your script based on how your goal is set. Which Hustle fields are available depends on the type of your goal. For more information, see What are the types of Goals?
- Emojis: Lets you include emojis into your script. E.g. 🎉
- Images: Admins can add images or select from previous images to include in scripts.
- Script Analysis: Lets admins know if their script is following the best practices for their script.
- Preview: Shows a preview of the text, so admins can see what the message looks like when delivered. Admins can also send themselves a test text.
If you try to save a script that doesn't follow best practices, a Script Warning will let you know how to improve the content of your message:
- How do I create scripts when making a goal?
- How do I test a script?
- How do I save scripts?
- Best practices
- Changing skin tone of emojis in Hustle
How do I create scripts when making a goal?
To create a script:
- While creating a goal, scroll down to Initial Scripts. These will be the first messages agents will send in initial workflows.
- You'll see two default scripts:
- Scripts for starting a new conversation: The script agents will use to message contacts they haven’t messaged in the group.
- For picking up an existing conversation: The script agents will use to message contacts they have messaged before.
Initial scripts automatically includes p.s. you can reply stop to opt out at the end of the pre-filled initial scripts to let the contact know how to opt out of messages. You can always edit this portion of the message to fit your goal!
For more information about opt out language in scripts, see Should I include opt out language in my scripts?
Note: Hustle automatically selects whether an Agent uses a new or existing contact script; Assignment strategies determine which agents will send the scripts
- Click Edit to open the Script Editor to make changes to scripts:
- To help ensure messages get delivered, initial scripts have a 500 character limit. All other scripts have a 1000 character limit.
- Scripts can be in any language.
- You can add emojis.
- If enabled by an Account admin, images (jpegs, png, gifs) can be added to scripts. (5 mb max) For more information on enabling MMS, see Account-Level Administration.
- You can also add variables into the script which will include Hustle default fields like contact name, agent name, Link, etc. as well as any Custom Fields.
Note: Due to file size restrictions, which vary by carrier, we recommend sending files no larger than 600KB. Supported file types include .jpeg, .png, and .gif.
- When done editing the script click Save.
Note: For script changes to be saved, the Goal form also needs to be saved.
- You can also edit the Response Scripts, which will include messages available to agents when responding to contacts. When agents select Lead Actions (Yes, No, VAN Survey Goal Survey Responses, etc.), these response scripts will automatically populate for agents to send or edit as necessary.
- To add more scripts for your agents, scroll to the bottom of the goal creation form. You can click Write New Script to provide your agents with more pre-written messages and title them so your agents can find them quickly.
- Note: These scripts will only be available for this goal.
- You can also add scripts that you’ve saved for the whole organization by clicking Add Saved Scripts to any of the scripts (Initial, Response or Additional).
Note: Saved Scripts do not support goal specific variables like Link, Phone number to call, Event Start Time, etc.
For information on how to make your scripts effective, see Best practices. For instructions on how to create scripts on the web and mobile app, see How do I create response scripts on my web or mobile app?
How do I test a script?
You can send test texts to yourself from the script editor to see what they look like before you launch your goal. In the script editor, on the right side, click Preview > Send me a test:
Within a minute or so the text should come through to your phone.
Note: When you test texts from the admin panel you will receive a text from a number that won’t match your groups location. Rest assured, the area codes that reach your contacts are based on the location set for the group.
- The delivery of the message depends on your carrier and your script. The more you follow the script analysis suggestions, the better off you’ll be.
- Character limits are enforced by carriers.
- The name of the admin that is creating the goal will replace <Agent Name> in the preview text. When the goal is live, the agents preferred name will replace <Agent Name>.
- Some fields like <Phone number to call> won’t populate in the preview message.
- The preview for a link, also called link previews, will only appear when the link is at the end of the script.
How do I use saved scripts?
Admins can use saved scripts from a Script Library. These scripts can then be used across all Goals. For more information on saving scripts, see How do I use the script library?
Here are some best practices that will make sure your message is delivered, and increase response rates and conversions with Hustle. The most important thing to remember is that the magic of peer-to-peer texting is it’s real people talking to real people.
- Change up the opt out language every now and then to keep your initial scripts for new contacts personal and considerate! Some examples include:
- Feel free to reply stop if you want to opt out of messages!
- (prefer not to get texts? reply stop 🙌)
- (to opt out you can reply stop 👍)
- reply stop to opt out
- reply stop to be removed
- Make sure there are no links in your initial message. Carriers filter out messages that have links to prevent spam. Especially if it’s the first time that number has texted someone.
- When using links, especially with the Share a Link goal type, avoid redirect links like bit.ly and use direct links instead. Too many redirect links raises suspicion with carriers and risks messages not being delivered.
- Your scripts shouldn’t be any longer than 160 characters. This makes sure your messages are delivered and are more likely to be read. For more information, see Character limitations enforced by carriers.
- Response scripts are a great place to include follow-up information, links, and images.
- Adding additional scripts to your goals will help your agents continue the conversation by providing them with all the information they need to pass on.
Changing skin tone of emojis in Hustle
You can change the skin tone of your emoji in Hustle to connect you even further with your audience.
- Fill out the goal form as you normally would.
- Edit your script and click emoji.
- Before you add an emoji into the script, click the small yellow circle to the top right side of the message box.
- Click on one of the available skin tone options.
- Add the emojis to the script and click Save.
Note: Skin tone will only update the emojis that have a skin tone option. e.g. The regular “smiley face” emoji will remain unchanged, but emojis like “thumbs up” will.