Welcome to Hustle! 🎊 This quick start guide provides instructions on how to get started using Hustle as an admin.
For a detailed video overview on how to use Hustle as an admin, see VIDEO: Hustle Admin Training.
- What are Hustle admins?
- Texting contacts
- Creating goals
What are Hustle admins?
Hustle administrators are responsible for adding agents, contacts, goals and other admins to Hustle. Admins direct these campaigns and set various permissions using the settings and options available to them.
There are three types of admins:
- Account admins
- Organization admins
- Group admins
For detailed information on what admins can do, see What are the different Hustle admin roles?
The Admin Panel is where admins will set up their organizations, create goals, add agents, download reports, etc.
From the Admin Panel, admins can manage:
- Profile Settings: Admins can manage their profile settings (Name, email, password, etc.) by clicking their initials in the top right corner.
- Activity: To see an overview of recent goal activity in your org.
- Groups: To create groups, manage contacts, launch and manage goals, etc. Note: Admins will spend the most time in this section of the Admin Panel.
- Reports: Review the metrics of the org including how many contacts have been messaged, how many have been uploaded, how many messages have been sent and how many contacts replied, etc. For more information, see Using Reports as a Hustle Admin.
- Tags: To manage the tags in your org. and who can use them. For more information, see How do I use tags?
- Custom fields: To manage custom fields. For more information, see How do I use custom fields?
- Scripts: Also known as the script library, here admins can create scripts (pre-written messages to send to contacts) for the entire org. Scripts created here can be added to every goal launched in the org. For more information, see How do I use the script library?
- Integrations: to Integrate your Hustle account with another database. E.G. VAN, Salesforce, Blackbaud, Evertrue. For more information see the Integrations section of our help site.
- Settings: Manage a variety of settings for your org, including limiting what group admins can do, when agents can message, routing inbound calls, and exporting data. For more information, see What can organization admins do?
To text contacts you’ll first need to create a group.
To create a group:
- Login to the Hustle Admin Panel and open the organization the group is in.
Click Groups > Add group in the top right.
Fill in the requested information:
- Group Name: The name of the group you want to create.
- Location: The location determines the timezone applied to the group for hours of operation.
TCR Campaign: For US Orgs, admins can apply an approved TCR Campaign to the group at this time. Choose the TCR campaign that best describes the messages that the group will send.
- Click Add Group
For a video walkthrough on how to add a group, see VIDEO: Adding a Group to your Organization.
Adding a group phone number
Once a group is created, you'll need to add a phone number to the group to send text messages from.
- From the Admin Panel click Groups and click the name of the group where you want to add a phone number to send messages from.
- From the Goals page, select Add Phone Number
A new window will appear with area codes to select from based on the group's location. If you do not see an area code you like, select I don’t see my area code to choose a different area code.
Note: Phone inventory in specific area codes is not guaranteed. If an area code is not available, it will appear unselectable. Available area codes will appear blue and selectable.
- Once you’ve selected an area code with available inventory, the option will appear green. Add a phone number in this area code by selecting Get Phone Number
Congratulations! You have successfully added a phone number to your group! The new phone number agents in your group will use to send messages to contacts will display on the page. Select Done to close the window.
Adding a TCR Campaign
For US organizations, before launching a goal in a group, admins are highly encouraged to apply a TCR campaign to the group.
- If you have not yet registered for 10DLC, see How do I register for 10dlc with Hustle?
- If you can't apply a TCR campaign to the group, see Why can't I apply a TCR campaign?
To apply a TCR campaign to an existing Hustle group:
- Log in to the Hustle Admin Panel and open the organization the group is in.
- Click Groups and click on the name of the group you want to apply a TCR campaign to.
- Click Group Settings > TCR.
- Click the dropdown menu under TCR Campaign.
- Choose the TCR campaign that best describes the messages that the group will send > Save.
The group will now appear, with the TCR campaign applied, on the Manage Groups page:
- Group name: name of the group
- Date created: The date the group was created
- TCR Brand: The TCR brand the group is using
- TCR Campaign: The TCR campaign the group is using
- Show in menu: If the box is checked, the group’s name will appear in the quick menu when hovering your mouse over Groups on the left.
Once your group has been created you’ll need to add agents to it. Agents are the people in your org. who text and message contacts. Only a name and phone number is required to add agents.
For a video walkthrough on how to add agents, see VIDEO: Adding Agents to your Group.
Note: Only agents can text contacts. Admins need to add themselves as agents to message contacts.
From the Admin Panel click Groups and click the name of the group where you want to add agents.
Click Add Agents > choose how you want to add agents:
- Add a single agent: Add a single agent manually.
- Add from another group: Add agents from other groups in the organization one by one.
- Add multiple agents: Import multiple agents via CSV file. While importing agents, use the drop down menus to map and label the header of the name and number column:
After you’ve added agents to your group, you’ll need to add contacts for your agents to message.
For a video walkthrough on how to add contacts, see VIDEO: Adding Contacts to your Group.
1. To add contacts to your group, from the Admin Panel click Groups > the name of the group you want to add contacts to.
2. Click Add contacts > choose how you want to add contacts:
- Add contact: Add a single contact manually.
Choose a CSV file: Import multiple contacts via CSV file. While importing contacts, use the drop down menus to map your fields.
- First Name, Last Name and Phone Number are required fields that need to be mapped.
- If you’re importing contacts via an integration (VAN, Salesforce, Blackbaud Luminate, etc) see the Integrations section of our help site.
- While importing a CSV file, you can assign contacts and apply tags. Note: In shared groups, when contacts are Assigned, contacts can only be messaged by their assigned agents. For more information see How do I use shared groups?
- If your org. Is integrated with VAN and you’re importing contacts via csv instead of the integration, you must map your vanIds from the csv file with the relevant integration with VAN (Formatted as: Integration Name [integration type]: vanId). Otherwise, van will not update with your activity in Hustle.
After you’ve added agents and contacts to your group you’re ready to create your first goal.
Goals are outbound campaigns where agents will text contacts and manage replies. Examples of Goals include efforts to recruit volunteers, reminding people to vote, raising donations for a cause, etc.
Each goal is made up of workflows. In these workflows, agents use pre-written scripts or personalized messages to start and respond to conversations. For more information, see How do I use Hustle goals?
For a video walkthrough on how to create goals, see VIDEO: Creating your first Goal.
To create a goal, from the admin panel click Groups > select the name of the group you want to launch the goal in > Add goal.
This is the form you’ll use to create goals:
The different fields in the goal form include:
- Type: This will decide the template of your goal. If you’re just trying to reach out to your contacts we recommend using the Engage with Contact goal type. For more information, see What are the types of Goals?
- Name: The name of your goal.
- Description: A description of the goal for other admins.
- Event Start Time / Shift Start Time / Target Date: The date and time of the event; the date and time you want to include as a variable in the body of the message
- Agents Can Message: The assignment strategy the goal will use. For more information, see How can agents message contacts?
- Agent Instructions: Instructions your agents will see next to their workflows while messaging contacts.
- Targeting: Targeting lets you filter which contacts in your group your agents can message for the goal. For more information, see How do I target contacts in my goals?
Scripts and initial messaging
Under Step 1: Reach Out, you’ll set up your goal’s first message, scripts, when workflows will open and close, and the responses to those first messages.
For a video overview on scripts, see VIDEO: Writing your Goal's Scripts.
The different fields are:
- Workflows Available At: When agents can begin workflows and start sending initial messages to contacts.
- Workflows Close At: When workflows will close and agents can no longer send messages in the goal.
- Initial Scripts: The first pre-written messages that agents will send to contacts to kick off the goal. To help deliverability, initial scripts have a 500 character limit.
- Starting a new conversation: The initial script agents will send to contacts who haven’t been messaged in a previous goal in the group.
- Picking up an existing conversation: The initial script agents will send to contacts who have already been messaged in a previous goal in the group.
- Response scripts: The scripts agents can respond with once a contact replies. Response and all other scripts have a 1000 character limit.
- Agents Notification: The pop-up notification agents will receive on their mobile device when workflows become available.
At the bottom of the goal form, You can also set up reminders and add additional scripts for your agents.
- For more information about reminders, see What are the types of Goals?
- For more information about scripts, see How do I write scripts? and How do I use the script library?
Saving goals as drafts
While creating your goal you can save it as a draft so you can edit and launch it at a later time.
To save your goal as a draft click Save Draft in the upper right of the goal creation form:
Note: Some goal settings can’t be changed once the goal launches. This includes:
- Goal type
- Agent Notifications
Save your goal as a draft if you plan on making any changes before you launch it.
Once you’re ready to launch your goal, in the top right corner click Launch > Launch Goal.
- You can also save goals as drafts to launch at a later time. For more information, see How to use goal drafts.
Note: The following goal settings can’t be changed once the goal launches:
- Goal type
Congratulations on launching your first goal! Once the goal is complete, to review the results click:
- Groups > the name of the group the goal was launched in > the name of the goal. For more information see How do I export data from Hustle?
- Reports to see how your performance breaks down over time and across groups and agents. For more information, see Using Reports as a Hustle Admin.
For instructions on how to stop a goal, see How do I stop goals?
10DLC is a messaging standard sanctioned by major US carriers. 10DLC only applies to organizations messaging in the U.S. (and U.S. territories) using 10-digit long code phone numbers.
Hustle Admins will need to take some steps in Hustle to register their messaging traffic with carriers in order to comply with the requirements of 10DLC. For more information, see What is 10DLC?
Refer to the playlist below to find video instructions on how to use Hustle:
- How do I create a Hustle Account?
- What if I didn't receive an invite?
- How do I text using the Hustle web app?
- How do I text using the Hustle mobile app?
- VIDEO: Logging In to the Hustle Admin Platform
- VIDEO: Hustle Admin Training
- VIDEO: Switching Between Several Accounts and Organizations as a Hustle Admin
- VIDEO: Reviewing your Organization's overall Settings
- VIDEO: Creating and Managing your Organization's Tags
- VIDEO: Creating and Managing your Organization's Custom Fields
- VIDEO: Adding a Group to your Organization
- VIDEO: Setting Group-Level Settings
- VIDEO: Adding Agents to your Group
- VIDEO: Adding Contacts to your Group
- VIDEO: Creating your first Goal
- VIDEO: Writing your Goal's Scripts